For those who don't have a She Shed or a beautiful garden with space for a BBQ, you can still do something special with your small terrace or balcony. In fact, with these three tips, you can turn your outdoor space into a cosy retreat in under a day!
Personal Green Oasis
A small terrace or balcony doesn't mean you can't make your own little plant-filled oasis. Add some comfy cushions, buy a few colourful pots and start adding plants! It's as simple as that. These are a few of our go-to outdoor plants that are quick to plant and easy to care for.
- Begonias: These flowers will bloom year after year when they are kept in lightly shaded environments.
- Chrysanthemum: Mums are the most popular flowers after the rose because of the many varieties they come in – different sizes, colours, and shapes.
- Petunia: To grow abundantly, petunias need a good amount of sun.
- Ferns: Opposite of petunias, ferns are perfect if you have a shady balcony. Ferns are adaptable and grow well in plant containers and hanging containers.
- Succulents: If you have trouble remembering to water plants, then succulents are for you.
Image from Living After Midnight
Similar to your living room, you'll want something that draws the eye for your cosy retreat. Adding an outdoor rug is a simple way to make a bold statement without a lot of work. Go big and bold with a pattern, or just find a colour that fits in with your style. Just make sure to measure your space and find a rug that fits!
Image from Bathwater
When in doubt, cushions with waterproof backings are perfect for a quick and comfortable way to enjoy your small outdoor space. Team them up with your British Blanket Company throws, a mug of tea and a great book to create the dream retreat.
Wool Blankets for Outdoors
Our picnic rugs have waterproof backing to help keep the damp away but you can use our regular wool blankets outdoors too. We don't recommend leaving your blanket outside in the rain, but our blankets are the perfect to add a pop of colour and as the sun goes down. Have a basket of them on hand to keep you and your guests nice and cosy!